Thursday, March 14, 2013

Let's Talk About Clothes, Baby

One of the biggest hurdles I've faced with this whole "trying to be more active" journey is getting myself dressed. The clothes may not make the girl, but they sure can make the girl more comfortable.

As a big lady, I've had plenty of time to get used to the idea that I can't just run into any old store and pick up an outfit. Shopping for an occasion is a process. Shopping for workout clothes, though, that's an endurance test.

I'll just get this out of the way up front. I'm not looking for the latest fashions, here. I am looking for clothes that do the job I need them to do. Pants and tops that wick away the sweat, don't chafe, and don't get in my way when I'm already struggling enough as it is. I want to be able to run and not constantly worry about if my shirt is riding up, or my pants are falling down, or my boob is about to pop out of my top and smack me in the face. From what I can tell, this is what everyone is looking for in workout clothes, regardless of their size or fitness level.

One would think that the stores that cater to the plus sized crowd would be the logical place to find basic workout wear. Based on the limited floor space given to "active wear" in these stores, and the high percentage of that floor space that is taken up by matching velour hoodies and relaxed fit sweat pants, I can only come to one conclusion: Lane Bryant has a vested interest in keeping me fat. I guess I can see their point. As long as the most active thing I do in any given day is walk from my couch to the fridge to get a refill on my French Onion Dip, they've got a customer for life.

Sporting goods stores, Target, Old Navy, lululemon--I can only gather that these stores are still in denial about the fact that big girls need to get their work out on, too. Some of these stores will sell bigger sizes, but online only. Listen, I don't want to hear another salesperson try to explain this away as a business decision because they can't devote floor space to stuff they won't sell much of. Take out a wall of flip flops, add a "Fat Girl Fit Wear" section, and I promise you'll make money.

So where's a girl to go? Are we really relegated to shopping online for clothes we can't get a sense of before we buy? Playing the endless game of "not in stock" or "cut funny, gotta send it back, and in the meantime, I still don't have a good pair of pants?" Shopping the men's section?

We are not! On the advice of my stepmom, I very reluctantly hit up JC Penney. Where they have actual plus sized active wear. In their actual stores. That you can actually try on. The selection isn't huge, and there are definitely some color schemes that will make you say "Whuck?" but it's a start. As a bonus, the pricing seems about on par with Target, as opposed to Lane Bryant, so you're not going to break the bank there, either.

As for sports bras, if you're a big chested girl, you already know that there are just not that many options out there, especially if you want to be able to try it before you buy it. And if you're just getting started, I hate to say it, but you're going to need help. (Possibly a lot of help. I really should have instituted a buddy system before I tried on that sports bra at the sporting goods store. I thought I was going to have to call in the jaws of life to get me back out.) This is the one area where I would not recommend trying to bargain hunt. Luckily, the nice people at Title Nine have the most comprehensive selection I have ever seen. I happily drove 100 miles round trip to suffer the indignity of getting trussed up by the world's fittest, cutest salesperson, in a dressing room that only had a passing acquaintance with the concept of "privacy" and I'll do it again. The women there knew their stuff, and didn't make me feel like a giant, even as I browsed the racks of XS running skirts.

Where are you shopping? What works for you, and where are you finding it?

7 comments:

  1. Old Navy online is ok--sometimes. Picking the right size is difficult, though... I'm all for removing that stupid flip flop wall in the store and putting in some big people sizes. I think it would be a very smart move --down here, anyway-- because MS is still the fattest state in the country. HELLO--fat people spend money & WILL buy cute (reasonably priced) clothing.
    I bought a pair of cute-ish pants at Catherine's several years ago that have worked ok. I still have them, & they still fit, if that tells you how consistent my fitness regime has been :-/ Anyway, Catherine's can sometimes be a little too pricey & a little old lady-ish as well.
    ( I'm SO glad you've started a blog!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In general, I've found Old Navy online to be okay, but yeah, fit is hard. It seems like their clothes stretch out really quickly too, so after a couple of wearings, something that fit is suddenly too big in all the wrong ways. Also, I'm just really opposed to giving my money to anyone who wants to take it, as long as they don't have to look at me, because God forbid they let fat people in the store. (I have feelings on this matter. A LOT OF FEELINGS.) Plus, online shopping really messes with my need for instant gratification.

    I'm certain that those pants from Catherine's shrank in the wash. =)

    Hi!! I'm so glad you're glad! And I'm glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly and truly love you. And they totally need to get rid of the $5 flip flops and put things in the store. It annoys me that my dude can only get work out clothes on line. It doesn't annoy him because I usually pick out his clothing anyway, but it annoys ME, okay?

    Wake up, stores of America. Look around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you!!!

      And I hate that your dude is relegated to the online shopping world, even if by proxy.

      I really think this is one of those issues that is why it's SO HARD to get people who are out of shape to get in shape. Because everywhere we turn, we find more examples of things that are telling us "this is not for you."

      FITNESS IS FOR EVERYONE!

      Delete
  4. I adore you. And I adore your 2 posts so far. I may need to leave a comment on the first post too. I hate shopping for clothes, esp work out clothes. And then there is the bra thing. Ugh. I am a big girl bra wise a G Cup. So I literally have to go to the specialty store. And I found a good bra store, however that does not mean I like the $95-135 Canadian price tag per bra. That kills me. I bought a sports bra a few year ago and it is ahem barely fitting this year and it is pissing me off, cuz I do not want to buy another one.
    Pants wise I got lucky and found some at the big girls store here Pennington's. I even found some workout capri's there too. However I might have worn the yoga type pants a bit too much with out really working out. And put holes in them without any work out necessarily involved. I joined a women's only gym last summer, I have been twice. I need help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well consider yourself smack in the middle of a love fest, because I love you right back!

      And I so feel you on the sports bras. I'm lucky that there's a Title Nine store within reasonable driving distance, provided I can devote an afternoon to the cause. And even then, there were literally TWO bras in the entire store in my size. I bought them both. You may want to check out this site: http://glamorisesport.com/high-impact-bras/ I'm not super great at the currency converting, but maybe this is a bit more affordable? If they won't ship to Canada, I totally volunteer to be your US shipping address, and pass them on your way. Every girl deserves a sports bra that takes any unnecessary pain out of the process.

      Pants are a bit easier, and listen. Yoga pants are not just for yoga! I've got one pair of actual "running" pants with the sweat wicking, and I wear them for 5Ks, but regular training is yoga pants all the way, and those bad boys double as my comfy driving pants for road trips, and sleep pants if I need them to. No one at the gym needs to know where those pants have been!

      Here's how I make myself go to the gym, because I really, really hate it. I have been known to set up a rewards system. Two full weeks of three a week gym days equals...whatever it is I've been wanting. A pedicure. A movie afternoon with my bestie where I don't beat myself up about popcorn consumption. A new DVD I've had my eye on. Not big things, but things that are just for me, and that I get to have guilt-free if I "earn" them. It also helps that gym time is my "me" time some days. My phone stays on silent in my locker, so no one can call me, or text me, or page me from work. And yes, the tvs on the treadmills get E, and yes, I've been known to time my gym time around Keeping Up With the Kardashians. Suddenly a guilty pleasure isn't so guilty!

      Delete
  5. This whole topic makes me wish I was so rich that I could fund startups. I think active wear for people who are larger than a size 14 is badly needed and I would gladly invest my money in a company that intended to address that need.

    Like many, I'm quite partial to my yoga pants, which I wear for walking, my tap/ballet class, cleaning the house, and running kids around town. They are never worn for yoga, probably because my yoga experiences have never been the life-altering things I was promised -- except for one beginner class that focused on opening up the muscles in the chest and back. That was the ONE time I left a yoga class thinking "oh. okay, now I get it."

    Back to apparel. I've had a bit of luck the last few years with TJ Maxx or Marshall's. It's always hit or miss, and the selection in my size range is very, very limited, but I have found some very good quality yoga pants and capris there for waaaay less than the the stuff the skinny chicks wear in Athleta and Title 9.

    The quality sports bra thing... Yeah, that's a big bullet I've yet to bite, though I need to. I still wear these Champion things I got at an outlet store years ago. They're really pretty awful. I sport a giant mono-boob when I wear them. One of these days, I will buy that one at Title 9 that Oprah and everyone else raves about. I'd be insanely jealous that you have one of their stores in IL, if I wasn't so happy that they were kind to my dear Anne.

    ReplyDelete